- 01/2019: Orthopaedic Surgeon (Fachärztin für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie)
- 07/2015: Emergency Medicine (Zusatzbezeichnung Notfallmedizin)
- 09/2014: Sports Medicine (Zusatzbezeichnung Sportmedizin)
- 01/2014: Physiologist (Fachärztin für Physiologie)
Explanation: In Germany, Physiology is a residency (specialist training, 4 years) for medical doctors, just like Orthopaedic Surgery (6 years). Sports and Emergency Medicine are shorter additional trainings and can be completed on top of a full residency.
- Since 02/2019: Research Fellow, Manchester Metropolitan University, Research Centre for Musculoskeletal Science & Sports Medicine, Manchester, United Kingdom
- 11/2014 – 01/2019: Resident and lecturer, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, Aachen, Germany
- 09/2011 – 08/2014: Researcher, Head Medical Doctor, German Aerospace Center (DLR), Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Cologne, Germany
- 05/2009 – 04/2011: Resident, Cologne University Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Cologne, Germany
- 04/2008 – 02/2009: Researcher, Charité Berlin, ZWMB (Center for Space Medicine Berlin), Berlin, Germany
- 2019: PD (habilitation = postdoctoral thesis, venia legendi), in Experimental Orthopaedic Surgery, RWTH Aachen University, Germany, topic: “Adaptation of the musculoskeletal system to unloading and loading in the context of human spaceflight”.
- 2007: Dr. med. (dissertation), Lübeck University, Germany
- 2003 – 2007: MD, clinical part of Medical School, Lübeck University, Germany
- 2001 – 2003: Theoretical part of Medical School, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
- Time abroad as a student: Dorrigo Hospital in Australia, Tauranga Hospital in New Zealand and student at University of Sydney, Australia
Space research responsibilities:
- Co-I of ISS experiment NIMAS 2020-2030
- Member of Advisory Board Finnish Center of Excellence in Research for Sustainable Space 2018-2025
- Co-I: NASA/ESA long-term bed-rest study AGBRESA testing artificial gravity 2019
- European Commission FP7 project “Planetary Habitat Simulation” (acronym: PlanHab) 2012/2013
- Head Medical Doctor ESA bed-rest study MEP 2011/2012
- Co-I: ESA bed rest study NUC 2010/2011
- I have extensive experience in teaching Space Medicine at RWTH Aachen University, where I created a Space Medicine lecture series comprising 10 lectures and ending with a written exam.
- At RWTH Aachen University Hospital and Cologne University Hospital, I was involved in Orthopaedic Surgery teaching for Medical Students in different course formats. These included lectures, seminars, shadowing and hands-on surgery simulator courses.
- At Charité University in Berlin, I gave Physiology seminars for medical and bioinformatics students.
In addition, I am an active reviewer for several journals and institutions.